Monday, April 6, 2009

STARTING YOUR STORY IN THE RIGHT PLACE

One thing I heard over and over again at the Jubilee conference was to make sure you start your story in the right place. When I first started writing, I had no idea what that meant. I do now, but it took a little time to understand the difference of the right place and the wrong place.

If your story doesn't really get good until on page 10, or the 2nd or 3rd chapter, then you know you started your story too early. As author, Cherry Adair says, "Jump in late, and get out early." (or something along those lines.)

This is exactly what you should do. You always weave in the back story little bites at a time. Or one sentence at a time. Now, I'm not telling you this is the right way for every single story, but it is for most. Have something exciting going on when you read the first line or paragraph, but keep true to it. Meaning don't hook us, and let us down after the first page.

During a critique session with an editor, book store owner and a author, I learned that in the first page you must connect with the character, you must know what is going on in their head. Don't just write that they went to this room, then went to that room. We want to know what is inside your characters head. Why we should keep reading about them? Make us connect to them....make sense? I hope so.

Thanks for reading, I'll keep posting as I learn too.

Dawn

No comments: