Tuesday, March 9, 2010

EPICON New Orleans Conference 2010

Last Friday was EPICON conference in New Orleans, and I attended several classes.
I want to share a few things that I learned at this conference to help aspiring writers.
First, thing I learned is don't forget to claim your writing expenses on your taxes, even if you are not published yet...you can claim expenses....

Second, if you write historicals a good place to find out information is on the Census website. (sorry, I don't have the website address, but I'm sure it's not hard to find.)

On to Marketing...Deidre Knight suggested aspiring authors/authors do a monthly newsletter, do contests, twitter, and when you have signings make sure to have a sign up sheet to get email addresses for give aways...she also said you should have a theme...I'm working on mine right now...she also said to "give away" books....lots of them if you can...get your name out there....

Debra LeBlanc suggested to meet Book store managers, give them gifts (book markers, etc.)...oh and put the blurb on back of your book marker, I forgot to do this one...blah... Book plates are great LeBlanc said...also don't just promote yourself, do for others...go beyond yourself....but don't waste a ton of money...try to do something on-line that is free...

Another thing I learned is to make goals and write them down....Enjoy the journey, not just the sale....be in charge of your journey, get rid of limitations...

Sara Thacker talked about sub-text. What is being said but not spoken...this was a great class...It was about what lies beneath the surface...use lots of body language...

I also learned at this conference that no book video is better than a bad one....so if you do one make sure it is good. Reflect the mood of the book, give enough info to entice the reader but don't give away the ending, blend literature, music and art and put it all together so that it flows nicely...not to much "wording"...short sentences....

Okay, I'll do a Part II on what I learned at the conference later...these are just small caps on what I remembered most.......(please excuse any typo's, I'm really tired....night!)

Good luck on writing,
Dawn Chartier
NOT AN ANGEL, coming soon from TWRP

1 comment:

CJ Parker said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the conference, Dawn. It was great to have you there. Thanks for all your help.
C.J. Parker, EPICon 2010 Conference Chair,