Monday, May 7, 2007

POV Point of View

POV ~ I never knew what it was until a few years ago when I joined a critique group. "POINT OF VIEW"...Well, I shifted my POV in one scene, which is also called headhopping....

I was told I headhopped. Huh? What was that I asked? Then someone was nice enough to tell me that I shifted from one character to another without any real reason other than to do it. They said I was confusing the reader and that editors don't like it. Well, I guess I need to figure out how not to headhop. So, I printed out a scene and highlighted with a marker every time I shifted my Point of View. Then I went back and took out the person that I really didn't need to be in their mind and used the one that gained the most from the scene.

I still kept the dialog of course, but just stayed in my hero/or heroine's mind through out that one scene, sometimes more.

Makes since? Not as easy as it sounds. But, I've trained myself not to do it anymore. Thank goodness for dialog, it helps! Just stick with one POV for each scene and you'll be better for it, unless your Nora Roberts, Sherriyln Kenyon and a few others that can do it without you even realizing. If you are new, I'd suggest don't headhop.


That's just a little thing I learned the hard way. I'll share others later.

Good day,
Dawn Chartier
Fantasy on the Rocks!

No comments: